Thursday 26 August 2010

Send in the Clowns!

I am new enough in my career in TEFL that all experience is valuable experience. I learn just as much from the bad students as the good and sometimes more.

But like medicine, just because it´s good for you doesn´t mean it tastes good.

Today is my last day at Circus Camp, tomorrow I start traveling down to Austria for two weeks of surf & sailing camp and as I gird my loins for the fortnight ahead, I remember the words of wisdom my DoS, Mike gave to us: "When you´re working abroad, look for British Council accredited schools, at least you´ll know they are the best ones."

Well, I forgot those words of wisdom and I´m bitterly repenting now. I am working for a company where I am one of the most qualified! All the rest are glorified au pairs gleaned from American colleges. The one or two who can actually teach are the exception rather than the rule.
I have to teach without a black or white board, only minimal materials and ditto for resources.
Of the three teachers here, I am the one with the most German - hah!

All of this whining is because I am tired. Having already done six weeks of proper summer camp work in England, I had four days vegging out in Edinburgh before hopping a plane to Düsseldorf.

At these camps, I am expected to be a teacher, activity leader, group leader, counselor, translator and basically all things to all men. It´s wearing me out!

I fully intend to suck it up and see out the two weeks in Austria - I keep repeating mantra like that the money goes towards my travel fund.

But I still needed to vent a little (ok, a lot!)

I´m sure I´ll be able to look on the bright side tomorrow, especially after an evening all to myself in Neu Ulm.

In the meantime, thanks for listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment