Wednesday 22 June 2011

Reasons to love Korea - Part 1

  • Random strangers greeting me on the street in English or Korean, simply because I am an 'exotic foreigner'!
  • The food, the glorious food!
  • The fact that I get a awed 'whoah' from EVERY SINGLE Korean when they hear I have come ALL the way from Ireland.
  • The fact that this is sometimes followed by the concerned question: "How are ye coping with the volcano?"
  • My grubby little 7 yr old student Alex, who whispered in my ear, "Kate Teacher, I lub you."
  • Korean dramas - highly addictive, sweet and funny. As well as an enjoyable way of increasing my vocabulary. (the fact that they are populated by stunningly attractive men has nothing to do with it whatsoever..ahem..ahem..)
  • The friendly, helpful and unbelievably inexpensive taxi drivers - especially the ones who are so delighted that I can give simple directions in Korean that they round down the fare!
  • The Ajummas (older women) who tell me that I am beautiful, particularly my lovely mouth and my Princess hands! (preen!)
  • K-Pop: catchy, upbeat and each chorus that I learn to sing along to feels like a major victory!
http://youtu.be/8d5QEWdHchk

This latest hit from Big Bang is what's in my head these days - major departure from my norms, but hey, I try to be eclectic!

I don't know what it is about HipHop - give it to me in English and I can sometimes take it, mostly leave it, but if it's in French (particularly some great Senegalese groups) or Korean, and I can listen all day. Clearly I'm in it for the beat and not the lyrics?!
  • The fact that while killing time before meeting a friend last Monday evening I was able to buy socks for school which featured, from left to right: A frog with a blue love heart, a pig taking a bubble bath and perhaps most impressive of all - a Japanese cartoon Superhero chicken!


I should take this oppurtunity to point out that these little cuties are Men's Socks.

Oh Asia, how I love thee!

No comments:

Post a Comment